Excerpt from: DemandProgress.org <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Carli Stevenson, Feb 14 at 2:04 PM
BREAKING: The Office of Government Ethics just formally recommended an immediate investigation of Kellyanne Conway’s ethics violation promoting Ivanka Trump’s products.1
But the Republican Congress still hasn’t launched an investigation.
Recently the Nordstrom department store chain announced it would no longer carry Ivanka Trump’s clothing and shoe line. What did Donald Trump do? Naturally, he lashed out on Twitter and used his power as president to attack the company:
“My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person — always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!”2
Trump attacking the company was bad enough. But then one of his top White House advisors, Kellyanne Conway, appeared on live television and told viewers to buy Ivanka Trump’s products – a blatant violation of federal ethics rules:
“Go buy Ivanka’s stuff is what I would say. I’m going to give a free commercial here: Go buy it today everybody, you can find it online.”2
Tell the House Oversight Committee Chair: Immediately investigate ethics violations by Kellyanne Conway and the Trump White House!
The rules on this sort of thing are very clear. According to the Office of Government Ethics:
- “An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity.”
It is the job of the House Oversight Committee to ensure all government officials and employees abide by our ethics rules, holding everyone, Democrat or Republican, to the same standards.
Rarely are ethics violations made in such plain language and under the glare of studio lights. To ignore this would send a message to every administration official and federal employee it is open season on professional standards and government ethics.
That’s why Elizabeth Warren and five other senators have sent an email to the White House counsel asking him to outline how he is going to prevent such ethics violations in the future.4
- Sign the Petition: Tell Rep. Jason Chaffetz, House Oversight Committee Chair, to launch an investigation into Kellyanne Conway’s ethics violations. You can go to the demand progress site above to sign the petition.
Thanks for all you do,
PS – Jason Chaffetz has received HUGE backlash for not holding Trump accountable as House Oversight Committee Chair. Over 1,000 people attended his recent town hall to hold his feet to the fire. Sign our petition and help keep the momentum going!
1. NBC News, “Office of Government Ethics: ‘Strong Reason’ to Think Conway Violated Rules,” February 14, 2017.
3. New York Times, “Kellyanne Conway Promotes Ivanka Trump Brand, Raising Ethics Concerns,” February 9, 2017.
4. Talking Points Memo, “Dem Senators Urge White House Lawyer to Prevent Future Conflicts of Interest,” February, 10, 2017.